During the 11th century, Oristano was founded. It was considered the capital of Giudicato of Arborea during the year 1070.
Historic remains of Oristano’s walls are seen in Roma Square. The Torre di San Cristoforo or Porta Manna used to be the city’s entrance. Mariano II commanded the building of the tower as well as the town walls in 1291. The building comprises of 3 levels with a smaller tower at the top boasting an extremely old bell.
The Duomo of Santa Maria was also built under Mariano II’s rule. Today, only the apse, bell-tower, basement, and the gothic chapel of Rimedio are the remains.
Eleonora D’Arborea’s house is close to the Roma Square. It is situated in Parpaglia street together with the city’s oldest inn where you can get a chance to taste the Vernaccia of Oristano wine.
There is a square dedicated to Eleonora along Corso Umberto. The town hall built in Scolopi’s monastery and the Duomo of Assunta is found in the square. The St. Francis church stands across the town hall. It was rebuilt during the 19th century in its neo-classical design with Gaetano Cima as the architect. The famous Nicodemo’s crucifix lies left of the altar symbolizing the Spanish gothic figure in Sardinia.
The Antiquarium Arborense Museum is also found in Oristano. It homes Nuraghic and Roman items from the old cities of Cornus and Tharros.
The church of St. Dominic, the church of St. Clare, and the church of Carmine are among other interesting structures in the historical center of Oristano. The church of St. Clare is a gothic-designed building built in 1345 and has been recently restored.
Oristano does not lie on the coast. However the Torre Grande beach is close to it. The beach houses the biggest tower in Sardinia. It was built under the command of Filippo II of spain for the protection of the harbor from Saracen raids. It was later converted into a lighthouse and the lighthouse keeper’s house was put up in 1880.
Torre Grande is a popular destination for holidaymakers reaching to over 20,000 inhabitants during summer.